The Odyssey by Homer

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Antigone: Siding with Family

I think Antigone sided with her family because she could not bear any more shame than her family already held. Also, I think Antigone knows her uncle, King Creon, is not the best man; from his decision making to his short-temper, Creon does not think twice about his decision to leave Polyneices unburied. Since her other brother, Eteocles, is seen as the hero in Creon's eyes, he is receiving a proper burial. However, Polyneices is seen as a traitor because he left Thebes to go to Argos and recruit an army to fight Eteocles for the throne of Thebes. He came back to fight, and was looked down upon Antigone thinks Polyneices also deserves a proper burial. Antigone is very opinionated and flippant; although she is siding against her country, she sticks by her family's side. I think Antigone is very brave for standing up for her brother and against her uncle.

4 comments:

  1. Liv: I like how you analyze Creon's temperment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liv, I really agreed to what you said! I liked how you described Antgione and King Creon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv, I am with that 100 percent about Creon not thinking twice about burying Polyneices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liv, I agree with your opinion that Polyneices should recieve a proper burial. I also agree with your thoughts about Creon.

    ReplyDelete